Latest posts by Bob Gamble (see all)
- Why Video Analytics Changes Everything for Retailers - May 11, 2019
- The Smart Way to Use Your Tax Refund - May 7, 2019
- Commercial Video Surveillance Systems: Key Points to Consider Before You Buy - May 5, 2019
When it comes to consumer grade security camera systems, there are many options on the market. They seem to be increasingly complex, and often with an incredibly inviting price point (as in, how in the world can they do that?) which makes some business owners wonder if they could be used in a commercial application successfully and affordably. The answer quite simply, is no. Consumer grade cameras are for consumer purposes, and are not designed for commercial applications.
Built with Different Purposes in Mind
Commercial grade security camera systems and those made for the consumer market and often found in big box stores are built with two different purposes in mind, and because of this use two different grade materials.
Comes First– Price or Design?
One of the things that drives the differences between the two types of systems is what comes first, price or design. Designers build commercial security camera system using electronics chosen for the very best performance for the intended usage and then the price is set according to the cost of the components. In commercial grade systems, the price point is first set and then back into the design using components that will keep the system within that price point.
Why Businesses Should Always Choose Commercial Security Camera Systems
While some camera systems made for the consumer market look as if they could work, especially for a smaller business, there are some important reasons why this is not true.
- Since consumer camera systems are made with the price in mind first, the types of materials must be kept down, which causes them to cut costs wherever possible. Products must cost, and weigh the least amount possible to keep the cost of shipping down to a minimum. This impacts the quality of materials and components.
- Consumer grade products and components are made to power consumer grade products. For example, 60 feet of commercial cable is constructed using 3 times the amount of copper than the standard cable made for the consumer market. This means that there is no opportunity to add basic things such as commercial grade night vision cameras to a consumer system as the thinner cables are not able to power them adequately.
- Consumer grade products, of necessity, have been striped down and will not have the functionality of a commercial grade commercial security camera system and are inadequate to serve in the commercial CCTV and surveillance capacity.
- Commercial grade security camera systems has more flexible and upgradable firmware.
- The materials with which commercial grade security cameras and equipment are much more durable than consumer and made to withstand long-term and continuous usage.
Security Instrument is a full service electronic security company specializing in video surveillance systems with remote viewing and management capabilities.