Latest posts by Bob Gamble (see all)
- 4 Outdoor Essentials To Make Your Home Smart For The Summer - July 16, 2019
- Local Alarm Companies vs. National: Pros and Cons - July 10, 2019
- Preparing Faculty to Respond to School Emergencies - July 2, 2019
Whether you will be traveling to visit family or just taking a much-needed vacation, there are some very important security measures to put in place before you leave. Please keep in mind that thieves don’t take a vacation for the holiday season. In fact the holiday season is their busiest time of the year!
What You Can Do To Keep Your Home Safe While You’re Away
The following are some simple steps you can take to make your home less attractive to would-be burglars. The best way is to combine the list of ideas below with a professionally installed and monitored electronic security alarm system in your home.
Before you leave on your trip, be sure to:
- Get a trusted friend or relative to “house sit” or make sure your neighbors know you will be away.
- Have a neighbor pick up your newspapers and your mail for you daily.
- Lock all doors and windows and secure the garage door.
- Leave a car parked in the driveway, or ask a neighbor to park in your driveway.
- Leave a house key — and a number where you can be reached — with a trusted friend or neighbor.
Pro Tip: The best way is to combine the list of ideas below with a professionally installed and monitored electronic security alarm system in your home. Ask us how today!
- Use timers to turn lights on and off at certain times, altering lighting patterns, to create an occupied look.
- Leave drapes and shades open as normal. (Closed blinds during the day are a sure sign of an empty house, plus they allow a burglar to attend to his business unseen by neighbors.)
- Arrange to have your lawn mowed.
- Be sure your trees and hedges have been trimmed. This gives burglars fewer places to hide.
- Consider upgrading outdoor light fixtures with devices that have built-in motion detectors, which turn on the lights whenever anyone walks past.
- If you have an alarm system, make sure to arm it EVERY time you leave your home…yes, EVEN if you will only be gone for a short while.
Technology Can Help – Talk To A Security Expert Today!
Following these practical safety tips can go a long way towards keeping your property safe. Adding professional burglar and fire alarm monitoring for your home (or business!), mobile app control and video monitoring can take your family’s safety to a new level. Contact us today to speak to a security expert and schedule your free consultation today!